Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Just another day

I have enjoyed reading all the Thanksgiving blogs the past few days.

What a shame it is though that Thanksgiving has become 'just another day' in our booming tourist town.

Just 10-15 years ago Thanksgiving was a 'dark' day in this little tourist mecca. It was a day to spend with family and friends. A day of football games both on tv and in the yard. A day to graze across a table filled with amazing and plentiful foods. A day for a nap, a time to rest and reflect. A day for board games and laughter.

Today this day has become 'just another day'. As I drove down the strip on Thursday, I saw businesses open and booming. There were go-kart, mini golf, and theme parks open. Restaurants like Wendy's were serving up burgers.

For those who actually were fortunate enough to get to have a Thanksgiving meal, it was a rushed one as individuals ran off to work. Work. It was just a large meal to get those people through the ridiculously busy weekend that was to come. A weekend of intense traffic. A weekend where your children think you are 'gone' because you leave before they wake and you come home way after they are asleep. A weekend with hopes of 'beating last years sales'. A weekend filled with unhappy and disgruntled shoppers who 'didn't get the best deal' at the 4am crazy sales.

This would be an easy situation to become filled with the bah humbug attitude, unless you try to see a different side. So here are some reminders:

1. People chose to spend their holiday in our little tourist town. We have the opportunity to become a special memory in their holiday.

2. As you are shopping on holidays, or even the day after, always remember that those sales asscociates have families too. Treat them with respect because they have given up their holiday memories to serve you, either willingly or unwillingly.


I went out on Thanksgiving to the KMART sale, it was my first ever. What I saw was unbelievable and I realize that it was nothing compared to what has occured. So to those shoppers I would like to remind you:

1. Never wear your church's logo while going on these early morning sales, more than likely, you are not going to behave in a manner that would honor your church or God.

2. It is never necessary to drop the *gasp* f-bomb in a public place. It is just disgusting and uncalled for.

3. The thing you just ripped out of another ladies hand...you don't need. It is an object! Think to yourself: are you warm? are you fed? do you have people that love you? if you answered yes then you are living it up!

4. Shop with a smile and a happy heart!

5. Always wish the cashiers a Merry Christmas.

Now I must issue a disclaimer as I was not the person who was responsible for numbers 1,2,or 3. It is just what I observed and was utterly shocked by. I was the shopper who pointed other shoppers over to the items they were looking for, allowed the elderly to safely pass by, and reached for very cheap remote control cars for some vertically challenged gals. I was not brave enough to say anything to the lady wearing her church's sweatshirt when she was being hateful to the sales clerk. I so wished I had!

Fast forward to friday at 6am when I overslept for the Target sale. I rushed out the door knowing I was probably too late to get the things I wanted...notice I did not say needed, we only need food and water. I got what appeared to be the last parking spot and headed into the madness. It was 6:30 am when I walked into target and all 20 of their checkouts had no less than 30 people each. I headed straight for toys and asked about the baby set I wanted. gone. So a bit bummed but still smiling I headed for the next item. gone. Item 3. gone.

So I decided ok it is ok I wasn't meant to get em I will head up and pay for the one item I was carrying. When lo and behold I see an abandoned baby playset, I swooped in for the score. It was just like the ebay commercial titled "shop victoriously'. So I decided to wander the store a minute in hopes of the lines dying down. Again I find item 2 abandoned. Item 3 abandoned. Everything I wanted I found by mistake! So I went up to pay and avoided the mega line by paying at the service desk.

I think I was victorious in my finds only because of my good attitude towards others.


Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

It really is amazing how quickly the spirit of Christmas is lost when people are in traffic/shopping/waiting in line, etc... I am really trying to remind myself to be cheerful and gracious this year!

Teresa said...

I'm glad it all worked out for you! Congrats on the finds!

It is amazing what you'll see/hear people do when they are driven by money and greed and all caught up in the moment, isn't it!

Way to overcome that!

Alana said...

Hmmm. I wonder if the lady in the church t-shirt was B? Sounds AWFULLY familiar ;-)

Janelle said...

Poor Thanksgiving. I do miss you.

Great thoughts. Glad you scored what you were looking for.