Monday, November 19, 2007

A little slice of Heaven...

In just 3 short days I will have prepared my little ole tummy to endure not 1, but 2 full Thanksgiving meals in a span of 5 hours. We are so blessed to be surrounded by both sides of our families, we are definitely willing to sacrifice our waistlines to celebrate with everyone.

While I love Aaron's family dearly, there is one thing his familiy's dinner lacks. ANGEL PIE.

Most people have never even heard of this Angel Pie, but the moment they have the privelege of tasting it they are HOOKED!

Oh and you heard me right, it is definitely a privelege. It is an amazingly delicious little holiday treat that my momma has always made. Although exceptionally tasty, it is a tricky recipe.

Let me tell ya the three secrets. First let me tell you that you cannot double the recipe. It does not work. Second, the measurements must be exact. Finally, a kitchen aid mixer is a definite must, otherwise you might need a second set of hands.

THIS PIE IS SOOOO WORTH IT THOUGH. Literally knock down drag out fights have occured over the last slice.

HERE IT IS: (drum roll please)

Angel Pie

Group 1
4 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Group 2
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Other:
graham cracker pie crust
cool whip

Put group 1 ingredients in a double boiler. Cook until thick. In the meantime(group 2 ingredients) beat egg whites and salt until frothy, add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time then add vanilla. Pour #1 group over #2 group beating constantly. Beat until mixed thoroughly. Pour into a graham cracker crust. Cool in refrigerator. Top with cool whip and grate chocolate on top.


Eat with a tall glass of cold water. Yummy perfection.

On occasion there is a little extra so my mom pours that into the tiny little pie crusts for the kids. Of course at 28, I AM still a kid!

Last tip...although usually not a problem of having leftovers, this pie only keeps for about 2 days in refrigerator, before it starts to get watery.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

My mouth is watering.

This truly is as good as she claims!

Save a piece for me on Thursday...we will be there after dinner is over.

Be Inspired Always said...

Sounds very good :)



I don't think I could handle two thanksgiving dinners. I have a difficult time handling one.



I'm new to your blog, please feel welcomed to visit mine.



Jillian

shelley said...

mmmmmmm, YUM!

Alana said...

Sounds good, can you post it on our foodie blog, too?