Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Christmas Meme

I love Christmas. It is truly my favorite time of the year! Although I enjoy doing the decorating the kids have their own special decorations as well. Thankfully I can be at peace with the way they decorate their trees, even when all the ornaments are on one branch!

I love the traditions related with Christmas. We have many that date back to when my mom was a kid. We do St. Nick night on the 5th. Each child wakes to a small item at the table. This year JP got a pizza baking kit and ornament and AJ got a cookie baking kit and ornament. We also do the 12 days of Christmas stockings which the childrens maternal grandma fills. My grandma has done that for each of her grandchildren and now my mom does too. They are just sweet little things like chapstick, cars, candy, change, soap, or stickers. Every year we enjoy making a gingerbread house. This year the kids really enjoyed it! This year we started the tradition of Friday night Christmas movie night. We also do the advent calendar, which one of the great aunts sends each year. A new tradition is the birthday cake we make for Jesus.

So here is the list:

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Love the wrapping paper. I love to match the coordinating papers to the fancy tree in the living room. Santa wraps the kids presents in 1 paper for each kid.

2. Real or artificial tree?
Artificial. The year my parents got a real tree my sister and I were so sick, since I was too little to remember an artificial tree is all I have ever known. But my 9 1/2 tree looks very real.

3. When do you put the tree up?
November 1st. I know I am completely out of the ordinary, but if I am going to put 8 trees up I don't want to rush and I want to enjoy them!

4. When do you take the tree down?
The week of New Years. I think it is usually down by the 5th. Aaron takes it all down. I put up, he takes down. It is a good system.


5. Do you like eggnog?
Absolutely NOT!

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
My first cabbage patch, she had red yarn hair and a pink outfit. My red hi-top converse are definitely up there too.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
yes. Lots. My favorite is new this year and has a removable baby Jesus. It sets on our fireplace mantel. JP has his own large one, a mini one, and an ornament one. We also have a plush one to play with and of course the fisher price one too.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Probably my Dad because he always says he doesn't want anything.

9. Easiest person to buy for?
My kids. I always over buy for them.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever recieved?
Hmm? The one that comes to mind quickly is the lotion that I thought was toothpaste and I tasted it. GROSS!! It took cranberry juice to get the flavor out of my mouth!

11. Christmas card....mail or email?
Mail. I literally race home at the end of the day to see whose card came! I have however not even made my cards yet! Yikes...I am way late.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?
Home Alone.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I shop year round. It is much easier on the finances. I have a present closet, that my children don't even go near. They know it is there, but they don't ask. They are so good!


14. Have you ever recycled a gift?
honestly no.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmastime?
EVERYTHING! I do not limit my self this time of year, so please pay no attention to the fact that my jeans do not fit! :) Angel pie, breakfast casserole, deviled eggs, fudge, ham....

16. Clear lights or colored?
Clear in living room, purple in AJ, color in JP, clear in my room, colored in kids bathroom, colored in downstairs bathroom, clear in sitting area, colored in play room, colored in family room.

17. Favorite Song?
anything by manheim steamroller

18. Travel at christmas or stay home?
We used to travel at Christmas with my parents, but now we have to stay home for business. Both our immediate families are in town, so we just miss out on the Greats. We try to see them other times of the year.

19. Can you name all the reindeer?
Yep, even olive!


20. Angel or Star?
lvr-star, AJ-hula girl, JP-star, bathroom-fish, my room-angel, family room-star, play room- ?, bathroom-?

21. Open the presents Christmas morning or eve?
Tradition is open 1 gift from an out of town person on Christmas eve. Then the rest Christmas morning. Santa at our house. All other gifts 2 doors down at my moms.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
It is the busyiest time of year for my family. It is the last few weeks to sell as much as possible and hope the year ends great. Pray for the ice to melt and the power to go back on in our stores that are in the ice storm zone.

23. What i love most about Christmas?
I love entertaining at Christmas, this year I don't get to though. :(

Most of you have done this, but if you haven't give it a whirl!

9 comments:

Carissa said...

i can't believe you have 8 trees. that is SO overwhelming to me. wow! now i am nervous to have you over for nerts. my house is so "laid back" in its decorations. 1 little ditty tree. you have 8 trees. 8 trees. i'm having trouble getting past that. wow...again!

shelley said...

Olive! I forgot about her! Great list Jen!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

WOW! Eight trees! That sounds like so much fun. I do the same thing with my kids' trees. They can put the ornaments anywhere. On the big tree, however, mom has veto power. :)

Janelle said...

Great list. I am in the dark about Olive though.

Christmas sounds magical around your house!

Janelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle said...

What in the world? I guess my comment was so wise and insightful that it published 3 times! Sorry!

Alana said...

I love letting the kids have a little tree in their room, I let them have their way with it, too...it always looks cute, though.

michelle said...

Janelle there is a children's book about Olive the Reindeer. A play on words for all of the other reindeer. :)

Jen your house does sound magical. I agree with Carissa though 8 trees would overwhelm me. I loved to hear about your family traditions!