Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The cellular age...

Do you remember the day you got your first cell phone? Or maybe it was long enough ago it was your first car phone?

I remember the day my Dad got his first car phone. My dad and my uncle were the only parents we knew who had them. Men walking around with purses, how weird! No actually they were the bag phone. You could charge it up and carry it or you could just leave it in the car.

I was 16 when I received my first car phone. At that time they were still pretty, dare I say, rare. There were 3 kids in my school with car phones. My first phone was the large turtle looking flip phone. There were no rules about phones in school, so you just left them in your car.

On that day in December, life as we knew it changed. I would never again feel secure without my phone. CAR or CELL. My children will never even know life before the cell phone. Soon enough the 'land line' will become something of a dinosaur.

I have had an excellent record of caring for my phones. I have never lost, broken, dropped in water, or purposely imploded my phone. Even during my reckless teenage days. The only time I have needed a new phone is when mine has become outdated for programming. So in the past 13 years I have only had the turtle, the star-tac, and the LG. Saturday my luck would change.

Oddly enough our land line was not working all day, so I was toting the cell phone from room to room. I left it on the corner of my bed and forgot it, until I hear AJ running across the house screaming because Daddy was chasing her. Running shortly behind her was Daddy carrying a destroyed LG. "I stepped on your phone"

And that folks was the demise of the LG.

It is amazing how a little electronic thing gives us peace of mind. I felt so 'naked' without my cell phone. I didn't know what time it was because I no longer wear a watch. I couldn't wake up because I don't have an alarm clock. I couldn't call anyone when I was driving to tell them the latest sale. It was a horrible 41 1/2 hours.

Lucky for me our family has a plethora of abandoned cell phones. Phones that are perfectly good, but that their tech savvy users ditched for the latest model. So I am now the proud owner of the camera phone which I know nothing about. It will be a long and frustrating journey without an owners manual. The alarm did not go off today, the ring tones are all weird, and the phone is fat. It will be a normal love hate relationship.

Wish me luck...

5 comments:

Carissa said...

you are funny! but congrats on the new phone! : )

Celeste said...

Well, you record is still clean since Aaron did it! It's always annoying figuring out new phones. When I got my last phone I felt like I was shopping at the trailer... of course there were three men telling me why each of them were lame compared to their 4inch thick computer phones.

shelley said...

It's amazing how dependent we are on our phones! It drives me crazy when I forget mine for a few hours, so I feel your pain! I'm sure you'll get to know your new phone fast!

Janelle said...

I'll trade ya.

Alana said...

I literally feel my chest start to constrict when I don't have my phone...I feel for you. I'm sure you'll figure out the new one in no time!