Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A very sleepless night...

Starting at 5pm yesterday, I knew it would be a sleepless night. I knew immediately when the local forecasters went right through the national news and kept on forecasting through wheel of fortune.

It did not look good. And much like nervous parents we sat glued to the weather news from 5pm till 10pm, where we then moved our nervousness to the bedroom still watching. We checked the flashlights, set the weather radio, left the news on the tv, and left comforters and pillows in the downstairs bathroom.

The children slept right through all the chaos. Even AJ who is very sensitive to lightning, slept through the whole thing.

At exactly 3:00 am Aaron and I both lurched forward in a panic, after looking at the tv we decided we should go to the basement. So we went in to emergency plan, it is pretty simple (in an emergency I get AJ cause she is smaller and Aaron gets JP cause he is bigger). AJ slept through the entire thing! JP just snuggled into the comforters and started to go back to sleep. We were down there about 15 minutes when Aaron decided it was safe.

I imagine a lot of you fellow locals did not take 'shelter', but after watching the weather all night and seeing the destruction we just had to follow the guidance of our trusty weatherman. I especially saw this as fit after that station lost signal earlier in the evening and they came back to say, when the chief meterologlist goes running through the studio yelling get in the shelter you listen.

Thankfully we only sustained lots of broken tree branches, we may still need to double check the roof where some branches fell, but we woke up warm and dry in our home. Many others did not wake up with a home and some even lost their lives. I pray for those families whose lives were changed last night.

7 comments:

dawn said...

We were also up at 3 am. We didn't go to the basement but we were ready to at any second. I hesitated because I had no idea how Boy3 would react to being woken up. I am glad we didn't go, but you made the right choice. Weather is so unpredictible.

I didn't see the meterologist saw to get in the shelter. That would be scary, indeed!

Carissa said...

oh i hate storms. if i can come up with enough humility i am gonna post about my night last night. glad it was not as bad as they expected! good for ya'll for going to the basement.

Janelle said...

When the tornado siren 100 feet away from your house goes off...you listen.

It wasn't too bad of a night, but this morning I sent a very sleepy boy to school.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Glad you are all safe and sound! The storms will be moving through here this evening. I hate storms like that!

Celeste said...

Whew, what a crazy night!

Alana said...

A sleepless night,indeed. We were hunkered down in our basement as well!

shelley said...

Like Dawn, we didn't go to our basement...but we were ready. I sat in my room and watched until midnight. At 3 am, I too awoke with a start. Again, I watched the news for awhile, woke up my husband, and we debated about whether or not we needed to wake up the kids. I'm glad we didn't have to, they blissfully slept through the whole night!