Monday, February 18, 2008

I'll toot his horn for him...

JP is a very well rounded boy. He is the type of child who thrives on activity. School being the number one priority in our house, has forced him to have to make choices in his interests.
He is passionate about sports. The boy was born the strongest baby alive, he was holding his head up from the moment he arrived. Never far from a ball, it is almost impossible to get this boy to come in from the outdoors.
When he does come in from the cold, he warms up his brain with math. Do you remeber he is the boy who asked for a math journal for Christmas. He is on Rocket Math right now, which has been a fun 1 minute timed test. His record right now is 40 problems correct. 40!
His newest interest is music. Somewhere between all the soccer, basketball, football, baseball, golf, and gymnastics practices he would like to learn to play the guitar. We will hold out on that one for his Uncle, who teaches guitar in the nearest 'big' city.
When JP was 3 and an only child, I signed him up for art camp. I thought it would be a good experience to get him used to the idea of pre-school. Looking at his paintings at 3 and looking at AJ's 3 1/2 year old paintings today, I know that he has a definite talent. He has continued to love art, so much so that we built him an 'art studio' in the garage. He amazes me at his creations. He loves clay, paint, canvases, rocks, wires, empty containers... The boy makes titanic ships out of an old paper bowl and 2 capri sun boxes. There are clay penguins, clay surf boards, clay hearts all over my house. He sketches amazing pictures of animals. And then he paints. His paintings have become true works of art. He has a definite vision of the work before he even begins. This most recent painting he has spent 2 separate sessions on to complete. I know I am partial, but it is awesome! I love how the penguin is surfing out of the crashing wave and the different hues of blue just make me feel like the water is splashing on to me as I stand on the beach watching. Do you see the streaks of the morning sunshine splashing the sky? aah...





ugh...I should have taken a better photo. I was messing with the natural light.
Ta-da!!


12 comments:

Carissa said...

love that you are tooting his horn! that is a mom's joy i bet!

Sarah Markley said...

Pretty cool! Makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii... =)

Shelley said...

Looks awesome. I hadn't seen it since he added the penguin!

Rich said...

Hey JP's Mom, Alana told me to take a gander at "the painting." I am glad that he is so interested in art. The piece is quite nice for one his age. Is he painting from his imagination or is he referencing a photo or picture of some sort? I noticed his use of green in addition to the blue in the water and the orange in the sky. I thought that those two elements and the overall shape of the wave were quite nice. Also, what kind of paint is he using?

Rich said...

This comment is so I can receive follow-up comments via email.

Nice Painting!

Darlene R. said...

That is such a great painting! He is quite the little artist.

Alana said...

He really has a talent for art. Very cool painting!

Janelle said...

Look out Van Gogh! Good job on the painting.

JP's MOM said...

Thanks for the sweet comments guys! He was so excited this morning he wrapped up his painting and took it to school to show his art teacher.

Rich...he has been fascinated by that surfing scene in SURF'S UP the movie and then he found a picture of the original artwork from the scene,in an encyclopedia, 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa'.

He has several sketches of the same thing throughout the house. He was excited to use his new paints from Christmas so he ended up using acrylic and a little bit of watercolor.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Wow! That is a great painting! He does have talent. My Favorite Boy would love to hang out with him during math time and sports time, but he would skip the art. How wonderful that JP enjoys them all!

michelle said...

Great job JP! I love your painting! I can't wait to see the next one! :)

Pam said...

Wow, great job!