Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Everyone is our teacher...

I am amazed at the things I learn each day.

Especially those little tidbits I learn from people I would have never thought of as a "teacher".

Yesterday a very great friend of mine and I were eating lunch with our preschoolers at a local establishment. While we were ordering our sweet girls, just 10 days apart, were striking up a conversation with the elderly couple in the booth behind them.

Smiles were being shed by both the girls and the couple. When the couple left the girls had formed new "fwiends".

We enjoyed our lunch with the girls being silly and full of glee and the "baby" being just that, a baby. Cups flinging, fries launching, stealing toys from sister...all normal baby boy activities.

As we were enjoying the end of our lunch another elderly couple walked our way. The gentleman passed us by without a glance, but the woman glared with evil eyes and said, "I hope the next time I eat here you are not here, if you can't control your children."

My jaw was just dropped in shock, but my quick friend just kindly remarked, "I am sorry we are not as perfect as you."

Were the kids really "out of control". I honestly didn't think so. I mean maybe they were a bit giddy for a 5 star restaurant, but we were at McDonald's. Primary target cutomers are ages 3-12, right?

It reminded me of the importance to always be encouraging to others, no matter what the situation. I can't wait to grow old and pass on the kindness of the first elderly couple to young people.

9 comments:

Shelley said...

AMEN! That first couple was the sweetest, and I too will be like them when I'm older!

Carissa said...

so sorry. stuff like that just feels AWFUL. why are people mean? i will never understand it!

Janelle said...

I can't believe how rude the 2nd couple's comments were. At MC'DONALDS???? Maybe at the Chataeu. Unbelievable!!

Rochelle said...

I have seen both sets of couples... I want to learn from ones like the first couple!!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I can't even imagine someone saying that at McDonald's (or anywhere else for that matter)! I think people must be really unhappy to be able to say those kinds of things to others.

Darlene R. said...

Hey, do you live around Suzi over at Fabry Family? She had a similar situation.
It's too bad that people have to be that way.
I'm sure the kids were fine.

Pam said...

That's crazy!

michelle said...

That lady must really be carrying a lot of hurt to say such mean things to perfect strangers with young children! She took her hurt feelings out on you! Just think what she would have said if the kids from supper club were there for lunch! :)

Alana said...

It's probably a good thing I wasn't there. Her comment would have definitely channeled my "Listen here, Mister!" mode. Only, it would have had to be "Listen here, Missy!". Mean People...well you know.