Monday, June 23, 2008

Live Like You Were Dying...

You know that feeling when you can just feel your blood pressure rising?

I felt that today as I looked around at the pig pen we call a home. Just as I was about to announce the end to all things fun this summer, until I get some cooperation in the cleaning department; I opened an email.

The email hit me.

A gal who works at the YMCA passed away over the weekend.

Not just a gal, but a Mom. A mom to 4 kids, the youngest being 2.

3 times a week for the past almost 2 years I have seen her, chatted with her, or just smiled at her. She was kind and bubbly to all who walked through the door. I had no idea that when I said, "Have a great weekend!" on friday that it would be the last.

These unexpected passings have been occuring a lot it seems.

Today I am reminded of the important things.

And they are not the laundry, the leftover Great Room Swap of 2008 disorganization, AJ's room, the garage, the vacuuming, or even the dishes.

Today and all days I will choose playing over cleaning. With that said, know that if you ever 'pop' over for a visit you will clearly see how much fun time has been spent with the kids.

This week has been a great reminder of my favorite series at church:

Live Like You Were Dying.

I am reminded of it daily as I glance at my keychain.



Live like you were dying

Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Speak Sweeter

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11

Love Deeper

For the whole law can be summed up in one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Galatians 5:14

Give Forgiveness

...remember the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Colossians 3:13

9 comments:

dawn said...

Thanks for sharing this, Jen. I need to play right now too.

Jamie said...

Great post. Thanks for the reminder.

Darlene R. said...

Thanks for the reminder to play more. I needed it!

Shelley said...

That email hit me hard too. How sad and scary. We do have to remember that God is in control. We may not understand, but we have to Trust. I love that you're picking playing over cleaning, that's a good lesson for all of us.

Sarah Markley said...

What a great reminder. That is sad, I agree. I couldn't imagine my girls without a mother. =(

Jaime said...

Oh, I totally needed this today. Especially as I look around my messy house. I was thinking I spent too much time playing...and well maybe I did. But I had a good day with my kids, and I can always clean tomorrow, right?

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I am so sorry for that family! It is a serious reminder for us to take full advantage of our time!

Janelle said...

Amen. Great post, great reminder that time is short and unpredictable.

Pam said...

Thanks for this post. I love that you shared the scriptures too. I think I will be praying the Psalm 90:12 often.