Saturday, November 15, 2008

The twins have arrived...

At 37 weeks, Aaron and I arrived at the hospital at 5am for a scheduled C-Section. The check-in and prep time took longer than the whole procedure. At 7:25am we welcomed Baby A feet first into the world at 18" and 5 pounds 9 ounces. At 7:27 am we welcomed Baby B feet first and peeing all over into the world at 17.75" and 5 pounds 6 ounces. They are beautiful baby boys. The boys appear to be identical as they ended up sharing one placenta.

Both boys are healthy and gaining weight, although they both required some minor supplementing the first few days. Baby B was born with very low blood sugar, so he had a cup feeding of formula just after his bath. He continued to have issues with his blood sugar for the first 24 hours. After 3 bottles and the warming lamps he stabilized his blood sugar and is a nursing champ. Baby A started to lose too much weight in the hospital, so he received a couple of supplements. Once my milk came in both boys have had no problems.

We have been home for one solid week now and have fallen into a good groove. The nights are a bit long, but we are getting used to it. The biggest difference between bringing the boys home and bringing one baby home is the inability to tag team the older kids and baby(ies). When we brought AJ home Aaron was strictly in charge of entertaining and meeting JP's needs. I had thought we would do the same this time, but 2 babies really need 2 adults that first week or so. Especially at night. Just think of a blurred round robin of me feeding, Aaron burping and diapering. Then switch. Non stop all night. The boys do sleep beautifully from about 6:30 am to 9:30 am. Those are good sleeping hours.

At 10 days old here are some differences we see in the boys:

A-loves to stay curled in a ball, keeps his hands in fists up by his face in defense, think he will have an innie, has chubby cheeks, he squeaks more, has a high pitched cry, and more hair on top.

B-loves to stay sprawled out, think he has an outie, has a thin face, long forhead, less hair on top, has more patience than A.

14 comments:

Julianne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Celeste said...

Awesome pictures!! I'm glad everything went smoothly. They are adorable!

Jamie said...

I love the pictures. I am so glad that your babies are home and doing well. God Bless your family, that is so exciting.

dawn said...

Thinking about you tonight. Hope you get some sleep. You all look beautiful.

Janelle said...

Love those children! So thankful the boys are here safe and sound. Can't wait to get everyone together!

Shelley said...

Jen, you are Awesome! I know this has to be one of the most challenging times in your life, but you and Aaron are doing so amazingly great. Please let us know if we can do anything for you! I loved getting to hold those sweet babies. Especially at the same time! That was a first for me!

Lane5 said...

The video was awesome. They are so big and yet so tiny at the same time. I can't wait to get to hold them. I hope they get into a routine for you soon. Keep the help as long as possible. I only had 1 and wanted someone there with me as long as I could get them to stay. If nothing else but to get a nap.

Alana said...

We are so happy for you! The boys are adorable and I'm so thankful that they are doing so well. Keep up the good work!

michelle said...

Congratulations!!!! I can't wait to hold them!

i-facilitate said...

Can't wait to get down there and see all my nephews and the only princess! Almost there; I should be leaving the 26th in the morning to get down there. I think I am going to need more space in my office for pictures! My desk and file cabinets are already covered!

Jaime said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! They are gorgeous! Don't worry, once you get into the swing of things, you'll be like supermom--tandem nursing and doing everything by yourself. And your arms will be buff! Rest up!:)

Darlene R. said...

Bless your heart! Those are some sweet little boys! I will continue to pray for you guys. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job.

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

Ahh! Congratulations! I've been checking frequently cause you were silent for while :)

BEAUTIFUL babies :)

Sherri said...

Congratulations!!! Your babies are beautiful and so lucky to have each other!!! I can't wait to watch them grow!! I hope you are feeling well!!