Saturday, January 15, 2011

President Jennifer's Braised Beef...

I have recently found a love of cooking. I am truly enjoying taking real ingredients and combining them to create something tasty. My husband is also enjoying my new hobby.

I recently made what I like to call President Jennifer's Braised Beef*.

President Jennifer's Braised Beef*

ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion or half a large onion, sliced
Beef Eye of Round Steaks about a 2-3 lb package
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon beef base
1 cup water
1 cup red cooking wine

Directions:
Heat the oil in skillet, add onions. Cook and stir till slightly browned and tender. Remove onions and set aside. Season steaks with thyme and season salt and flour both sides of steak. Fry steaks on med-high for 5 minutes each side.

Pour wine, beef base, and water in with the beef. Add back the onions. Cook on med high to high until the alcohol smell dissipates. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Serve with the sauce.

JEN'S NOTES: I don't typically actually measure the flour, thyme and seasoning salt. I just sprinkle. Also I use Grandpa's seasoning, for those of you lucky ones that I have shared the recipe with. :-) I usually serve this with diced potatoes which I add a tiny bit of olive oil to and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350, with a smidge of Italian seasonings and Italian cheeses. This meat comes out so incredibly tender it practically falls apart. Also because I get easily side tracked, I usually simmer for longer than an hour.

*recipe adapted from the PRESIDENT FORD'S BRAISED EYE ROUND STEAK recipe found on www.allrecipes.com

1 comment: