Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm Hooked...

We have been making a few changes around the upstairs of our house lately.

Painting, redecorating, building, reorganizing, etc.

I am loving all the changes!

Just outside the master bedroom, we have a quaint little hallway that is just perfect for the dumping of all the backpacks and lunch boxes.  The hallway sits near the entrance and next to the kitchen.

The only problem is that we are a family of 6.

Have you ever tried to purchase an inexpensive, heavy duty hook thing for 6 people's belongings?

It is impossible.

Good thing Aaron is handy and I am creative....



I wanted LOTS of hooks! 

The top set has 6 hooks with 1 big hook and 2 little hooks a piece.  The bottom set has 6 double hooks that don't stick out too too far.  I wanted AJ and the twins to be able to hang their things, but I also didn't want the babies to accidentally bump into and take an eye out.

To make it all you need is a piece of MDF cut to desired length.  Mine was 42"  Then head on over to your local Blue or Orange for some baseboard molding.  I purchased the contractor pack because I have a few other projects I am working on, but you can buy this molding by the foot.  Aaron then used the Kreg jig to attach the molding to the MDF with pocket hole screws.  Then it was sanded and painted white.  Blue and Orange also carry a plethora of hooks.  We opted for the oil rubbed bronze hooks at Orange.

Here it is in full use.  Little Guy absolutely LOVES hanging things on it.

Now I just need a great quote in black vinyl for above the top rack.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Celeste said...

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

That's the only think I can think of that relates, but I'm sure there are others, and it doesn't need to relate. :)

MarytheKay said...

Oh, I LOVE a set of hooks!!!!

Shelley said...

FANTASTIC!!! And I love the gray paint! I can't wait to see it in person! As for quotes, I like to go online and browse the uppercase living catalog. You can go through it page by page, and it's very inspiring! I use their ideas for my chalkboard sometimes.

karen richardson said...

Been looking for lots of different hooks for our new home...love your creative ideas! THANKS!

A few ideas for your sweet family...
"The family that plays together, stays together"
"HOME where you are always loved."
"Bless this home and all that enter"
check out writemywalls.com

karen richardson said...

also check out stellarwalldecals.com