Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Moments My Heart Stops...


I never in a million years believed I would be "the mom of the goalie".

I did not sign up for that stressful position when I gave birth to a 8lb 3oz strong bundle of joy.

I may have even been the parent that left the field years ago when my child was put in at goalie.  This was in fact prior to proper training, so in my defense I didn't feel he had a clue as to what he was doing.

Alas here we are 7 years into my son's soccer career and he is the goalie.  Thankfully he is not THE goalie, but one of TWO goalies on our team.  I get to sit nervously chewing my fingernails, trying to breathe, and reminding the heart to pump right next to an amazing friend.  Then at half time we trade places and SHE is the one who can no longer breathe. 

It is so hard to be the goalie.  They feel like they carry the weight of the team on their back.  If they miss a shot and the team loses, they feel it is their fault. 

A former Pro soccer player once came up to us and said, "Make sure JP knows that the ball had to get through SEVEN OTHER guys before it got passed him." 

Brilliant.  Those were some great words to fill my guys head.

And yet as the Mom of the Goalie I still can't breathe even though I repeat that phrase over and over.

The absolute worst moment while he is in the goalie box is if one of our players fouls a guy INSIDE the box.

NIGHTMARE.

This means the fouled player gets to take an undefended shot.  It is just one on one with the goalie. 

For those of you who don't know, the goal is HUGE.  Tall and Wide.

My heart literally stops beating while that shot occurs.

JP has been training with an amazing college goalie and has learned a ton of technique and strategy. 

Thankfully in a recent tournament when a penalty shot occurred he remembered what he had learned.

Victory for the goalie.

HUGE roar from the crowd.

Heart starts beating on the momma.








No comments: