Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Loaded Flank Steak and Buttery-Onion Corn on the Cob...


Ladies, (and possibly Gentlemen) how would you like to have an easy recipe that will just put a smile on your husband's face?

I call this recipe "The Meal the husband proclaimed, I can't wait for lunch tomorrow!"

Really it was THAT good.

And THAT easy.

I present to you, courtesy of my August/September 2011 issue of TASTE OF HOME magazine:

LOADED FLANK STEAK and BUTTERY-ONION CORN ON THE COB



Can I get an Amen?

Recipe as printed in the magazine.

Loaded Flank Steak
1/2 cup butter, softened
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
3 green onions chopped
2 tbsp ranch salad dressing mix
1/2 tsp pepper
1 beef flank steak 1 1/2-2 lbs

1. In a small bowl combine the first 5 ingredients.  Cut a deep slit in the side of the steak, forming a pocket.  Stuff butter mixture into slit.
2. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 inch from the heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches a desired doneness (for medium-rare, thermometer should read 145*; medium, 160*; well-done, 170*).  To serve, thinly slice across the grain.

My notes:  This was so quick and easy.  I chose to BROIL ours.  I cooked each side for the 7 minutes and then I moved the pan to the bottom rack, as the outside of my meat was beautiful but I wanted the inside a wee bit more done.  We cooked ours to mostly medium.  It was truly one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had.  The taste was that of a fine restaurant, not home cookin'.  We will definitely do this again.

BUTTERY-ONION CORN ON THE COB
Combine 1/2 cup melted butter and 1 envelope onion soup mix; rub over 4 medium eats of sweet corn (husks removed). Wrap each ear in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450* for 15-20 minutes or until the corn is tender, turning once.

My notes:  I cooked the corn first and then pulled it out and then Broiled the meat.  In the last 3 minutes I slid the corn back into the oven, still on broil, to warm it back up.  When I looked at this meal idea in the magazine I really thought just meat and corn wouldn't be filling enough, but this meal was simply perfect.

Cost breakdown:  I spent $11 on all the ingredients for this meal and it was enough food to feed 2 people 2 separate meals, with about 1 serving of meat left for a 5th meal.  Way cheaper than heading to the closest upscale restaurant.

Enjoy!

Also if you do not subscribe to Taste of Home magazine, I highly recommend it.

*I was not compensated by Taste of Home, just my honest opinion of their great product.Thanks!

No comments: